Saturday, October 30, 2010

Posting from Portland: Day 2

Anthology Authors Late at Night

Late night meeting of authors who all have stories in Random House's forthcoming anthology of Jane-related fiction.  Left to right:  me, Laurie Viera Rigler, editor Laurel Ann Nattress, Maggie Sullivan, Stephanie Barron, Syrie James.  But that's starting the story of this event-packed day at the end.  The day properly began with a visit to Voodoo Doughnuts.

Jane at Voodoo Doughnuts

 Having been told on all sides that Voodoo Doughnuts were an important Portland experience, Jane and I walked to this iconic little shop (the neighborhood was somewhat seedy area, but the doughnuts were glazed) and gamely waited on a long line. 

A line for doughnuts

Worth the wait


"Keep Portland Weird"?  I can do that...

Then on to the conference.  It began with a delightful panel organized by Maggie Sullivan, "Team Tilney Explains it All."  Below, a very well-spoken, polished, confident Mr. Tilney taking his bow. 

Mr. Tilney's impassioned speech

 
A large crowd of Janeites

After Team Tilney, Stephanie Barron, the popular mystery writer, was plenary speaker, addressing an enthusiastic crowd of over 600.  Breakout sessions followed.

With Ellen Moody

I introduced my long-time friend Ellen Moody at her talk, "People that Marry can never Part:  Real and Romantic Gothicism in Northanger Abbey."  (That's her daughter Isobel in the background.)  After that I attended Miriam Rheingold Fuller's talk on the Domestic Gothic.  During the lunch hour we did a lot:  went to the Portland Library to see an exhibit of early 18th century books and Gilray prints, with a stop at a very up-market Goodwill! (Took some cute pictures there, but they don't seem to upload...so try again later.)  Lunch was outstanding, at a Lebanese restaurant, Habiba.

Found the thrift shop picture...

Exhibit at Portland Library


Highly recommended Habiba

Dancers at the Portland Art Museum

Next was an exhibition of country dancing at the Portland Art Museum, and we nipped into the museum itself for a glimpse at the European and American paintings.  Here are a few things that caught my eye.

Interesting looking American man, @1900

 
Poor French family, @1850

Roman and middle eastern glass


An early Frangonard

A late, ideal Boucher

Last but not least was the late evening get together of my fellow Austen anthology authors, at which the literary gossip was so delicious and high powered, my lips must be sealed.  (Well, they are anyway, because I'm now sleeping, exhausted after such a busy day!)

3 comments:

Debbie Cusick said...

great photos, but the lunch at Habiba is the one that has me drooling, LOL.

Laurel Ann (Austenprose) said...

I applaud you Diana for your lovely reports from the trenches of JASNA Portland blogged each day! Brava!

It was such a pleasure to finally meet in person and sit together at the Ball. I loved your Venetian mask. You are a delight to have as one of my authors in my Austen anthology. The author get-together was such fun. So much creative energy around one table!

My head is still swimming with images and memories of an incredible conference. Thanks again for your friendship.

Cheers, Laurel Ann

Jane Odiwe said...

I wish I'd been here with you - so envious! You look as if you had a lovely time!